June is supposedly the most popular wedding month, because of some ancient Roman myth that if you get married during the month of the goddess Juno, she will protect your marriage. I think that belief has held up in Western countries because it’s that period between spring and summer when the weather is at its most pleasant.
In a country like the Philippines where the sun shines most of the year (except for occasional typhoon interruptions), when you get married isn’t much of an issue. I have noticed though, that I seem to receive more than the usual crop of invitations, either as a guest or to host the festivities, for the last quarter of the year. Maybe because the weather’s cooler so outdoor weddings are more doable?
Anyway, I have quite a few weddings to attend in the coming months, which also means I get to attend my favorite kind of party: Bridal showers! I just love the girl-bonding experience of it all where we can just be a little naughty and spend a special night with our sisters-from-other-misters before one of us steps into the wonderful world of wedded bliss.
One of the highlights of any bridal shower is the gift-giving and opening time. The best gifts are the ones that take the bride-to-be’s personal passions and tastes, as well as little things that her betrothed will surely appreciate on her (wink-wink). Here are a few things that I found that will be a sure-fire hit for that lucky girl about to get hitched:
- La Senza Bralettes. Who said sexy had to be uncomfortable? Available in assorted colors, these soft and lacy numbers are very “supportive” without the discomfort of underwires and padding. They also give enough coverage to be worn just under a jacket, which I think looks so cute and sexy. A naughty and practical pick for that sporty, comfort-loving bride.
Spotted at: La Senza, 3F Newport Mall. Also available in other branches.
- Victoria’s Secret PINK Fresh & Clean skin care and fragrance line. Smells sweet, flirty, and kissable without being overpowering. This is perfect for the girly-girl bride.
Available at Victoria’s Secret boutiques at GF Newport Mall, SM Megamall, and select Duty Free outlets.
- JOY by Jean Patou. This is one of the most legendary perfumes ever made, at par with the likes of Chanel No. 5. Created during the Great Depression in the 1920, it was known to be the most expensive perfume ever made. Today, perfume connoisseurs still regard it as the ultimate symbol of quality and prestige. Each ounce of JOY takes 10,600 jasmine flowers and 28 dozen May roses. This is a must-have for the bride who knows and loves her luxury goods.
Available at Art of Scent, GF Newport Mall.
- Ray-Ban Round Camouflage. A classic shape and frame perfect to hide the effects of an epic night of partying. This is sure to come in handy for the bride who loves travelling and the great outdoors. The cool camouflage print of the frame gives it a tough edge and comes in both standard camouflage and traditionally feminine colors.
Available at all Sunglass Haven shops.
- Villa del Conte praline balls. Yes, I know, she’s probably on a diet – which makes this the perfect cheat treat for the sweet-toothed bride. I mean, seriously. If you’re going to help your friend “cheat” on her diet, you might as well go all out and let her have a bite (or 12) of Italian chocolates that have followed 75 years of artisanal standards. Right? Right.
Available at Villa del Conte branches: GF Resorts World Manila (flagship shop), 3F Trinoma, 2F Greenbelt 5, 3F Shangri-la Plaza Mall